We are lacking on qualified employees, there is many unutilized jobs out there, we do not have enough experts.
THIS IS THE CURRENT STATE OF THE JOB MARKET.
The natural fluctuation of our senior colleagues cannot be compensated by the same numbers of new hires and trainees.
This fact is well known since more than 30 years! How do you deal with the loss of experience and expertise capacity in your organization, team, company?
Unfortunately there are no short-term measures. You need to untertake some permanent acitvities that should be on your regular agenda, such as…
- permanent research, selection and recruiting, even if you don`t need someone right now, but maybe you will find somebody for later. Start developing your own recruiting pool, start creating a network of experts
- permanent training and qualification of younger colleagues/ new hires, trainings should be more than 2% of your personnel expenses on this,
- import expats necessary meeting your qualification requirements, language skills are mandatory,
- always pay attention to ambitious younger colleagues and create carreer development opportunities, new tasks, more responsibility, etc.,
- establish mentorship, seniors to accompany younger colleagues on a regular basis, maybe sharing same desk/ office,
- make your company somekind of a “family`s home”, difficult to leave for everyone because of its great (team) atmosphere,
- extend employement duration for seniors exceeding typical retirement ages 63/ 65/ …, e.g. consulting agreements, if necessary/ possible for years
The ‘war of talents’ will not end in the next years. Efforts and costs for hiring, integrating and ramping up new colleagues are always more expensive than intensifying the identification and the connection of your colleagues and your company.
Happy to read your thoughts on this…